Everyone wants a slice of that delicous 20mbps Verizon 4G pie, but the reality is a lot of us have a lot left in our contracts. What are we poor saps stuck on 2mbps 3G supposed to do? Why, fake it of course! Imitation is the highest form of flattery and thusly I’ll be showing you how easy it is to have your flabby 3G Droid jogging along next to that sexy 4G Thunderbolt. Granted you won’t actually see any speed improvements (believe me I did extensive testing), but at least you’ll look fast. It’s like racing stripes for your phone. Any way, here’s what I did:
- This is all assuming you have a rooted phone running a custom ROM. These might work with stock software, but it’s unlikely. First off, get MetaMorph downloaded and installed on your Droid of choice. It also requires the latest BusyBox, but odds are you already have that.
- Next, head over to this link from DroidPirate.com and download your choice of color: Here. It’s a fantastic website with loads of other custom icons you may also choose to install, just one at a time. Get that .zip you downloaded copied to your sdcard\AndroidThemes.
- Go into MetaMorph on your phone. Let it run its check. Then select install new theme.
- It’ll uncompress and then click “ok” on the popup. Select apply all.
- This might take a while, but don’t touch anything.
- So long as you didn’t touch anything, you should simply select “Reboot” on the popup.
- Reboots. Tada! You now magically have a 4G LTE modem! Show off to your friends and complain about the lack of coverage and that’s why your phone doesn’t seem any faster.
You stay classy, World Wide Web.